OK, I’m the queen of procrastinators, so this post is for me! If you’re looking for a way to fill your kid’s stockings with as little out-of-pocket as possible, just hit your stockpile closet (or bin or shelf)!
Here’s a list of 10 items you can grab from your couponing stockpile that can be used as stocking stuffers on Christmas morning.
1. School Supplies — Do you have leftovers from your summer buying adventures? School supplies play the part of art supplies for younger children (crayons, glue sticks, watercolors, colored pencils). School aged children would also love for new school supplies to replace the used ones.
2. Band-Aids — What kid wouldn’t love their very own box of bandages?
3. Toothbrush — Pick the right character and you’ve got a winner!
4. Toothpaste — This might be a better suggestion for a smaller family (I’m just imagining my sister-in-law’s family of 7 boys — 7 tubes of toothpaste seems a bit much). Again, fool kids into thinking you’re giving them something extra special since it has their favorite character on the front.
5. Hair Accessories — Hair bands, bobby pins, bows, brushes. What girl doesn’t love hair paraphernalia?
6. Socks — I know, you can’t get socks for free. But you can get them for super cheap, especially if you hit the Fred Meyer Black Friday sale or scored at a past 50% off Dollar Spot sale at Target.
7. Shampoo — My kids loved it when they received their own bottles of children’s shampoo two years ago. We only use one at a time, but it’s super fun to say, “We’re using Nathan’s shampoo now!”.
8. Mints, gum, hard candy — It’s easy to get these items for free throughout the year and kids feel special when they have their own stash.
9. Filler items — Give your kids the stuff you throw into coupon transactions just to make your order work. I’m thinking of all the pencils, candles, stickers and small toys.
10. Cereal — OK, cereal won’t fit into most stockings. My husband used to get sugar cereal wrapped under the tree. His family never ate sugar cereal, so this was a real treat. And no one got to eat the other’s cereal, so it was extra special!
I realize that many of you are just starting to build your stockpile, so keep this list in mind as you coupon your way through 2011!
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.