I’ve had numerous comments and emails about the specifics on how the RSS feed and email subscriptions work, so I thought I’d kill a flock of birds with this one stone.
There are three ways to view a blog, including Frugal Living NW:
- go directly to the blog by typing the URL into the URL window (what’s the real name for this?)
- view it through a feed reader
- read it through a daily digest by email
An easy way to sign up for the last two options is by clicking one of the icons at the top left of the Frugal Living NW page.
Here are the advantages of each option:
The actual website
- You view posts in real time. When I post something, it shows up immediately.
- You get to see the site as it was designed to be viewed. The pretty way.
- You get to view updates, edits and comments
RSS feed / Feed reader
- You can organize and view your favorite blogs in one place
- You get almost immediate updates — it can take up to an hour for a post to appear in your reader
Daily email digest
- You don’t have to do anything except check your email as you normally do
- The previous day’s posts are condensed into one email
A quick note about using the email option. The way it works is that all of today’s posts are compiled and emailed to your account in the middle of the night the next day. So today’s posts will be available tomorrow morning. Not a big deal unless you want to know about the popular and one-day deals when you can actually take advantage of them.
Obviously I don’t do this manually; some mouse in a wheel does it. So there’s no way to read this blog through your email in real time. Otherwise you’d have up to ten emails from Frugal Living NW every day. And that would be irritating.
If you like the convenience of the email digest but want real-time results, you should really set up a feed reader.
Oh, I’m not going to leave you hanging! Check back tomorrow for a step-by-step tutorial on how to set up your very own feed reader!
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.