I know many of you are facing schooling decisions for your children this spring and I wanted to let you know of a cool option available to students in Oregon. Oregon Connections Academy is a free online public school serving students in grades K–12. From the ORCA website:
ORCA gives students the flexibility to learn at home with a curriculum that meets rigorous state education standards and a program featuring:
- A challenging, K–12 curriculum developed by leading education experts.
- Instruction from state-certified teachers experienced in online instruction.
- Support from trained counselors, principals, and administrative staff.
- Free textbooks and curriculum materials needed to participate in a dynamic online learning environment.
- Computers for families in K–8.
There are several information sessions scheduled for the Portland Metro area over the next week that will help you aquaint yourself with this program:
- Tuesday, April 5 (tonight!) — outer NE Portland
- Thursday, April 7 — Beaverton
- Saturday, April 9 — Gresham
- Monday, April 11 — Newberg
I have no connection with ORCA. I am sharing this information because I know some families wish to teach their children at home and may not be aware of this tuition-free option for Oregon children.
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.