It seems everyone is a-buzz about peanut butter these days. Several news sources are reporting that the horribly dry summer on the east coast and other places have resulted in a dismal peanut crop. The result is that peanut butter prices are set to significantly increase in the next few weeks. How much? Manufacturers are indicating a 30%-40% rise on some brands.
Truth be told, it’s not the end of the world, at least for those of us who have access to other affordable protein sources (which means the vast majority of Frugal Living NW readers). Eggs and beans are super cheap and probably better for us. But peanut butter is so… tasty. And most kids will eat it, which means the majority of us will still be purchasing and consuming it even with the increased prices.
We still have a few weeks until the prices are set to increase. I suggest you work to do a bit of stockpiling (please forgive the word). How much? Please don’t freak out on me, but if a summer’s crop starts affecting prices in the fall, I would think of buying one-year’s worth, assuming a decent crop in 2012 will make prices drop next fall.
One-year’s worth of peanut butter may be unrealistic for many of you because of your available cash and storage space. Don’t worry about it. Just do what you reasonably can. We advocate strategic spending — consider your family’s finances, peanut butter consumption and time and energy available, then go shopping.
We will do our best to scout out sales and other promotions and post them as quickly as possible (like Amazon deals). Until then, here are the current prices on peanut butter in the Portland Metro area (current as of October 19, 2011). Note that your store prices may be different than what we’ve found.
CONVENTIONAL — Contains peanuts, sugar and hydrogenated vegetable oil:
- Costco — Skippy, (2) 48 oz — $7.99 (8.3 cents per ounce)
- WinCo — Hy-Top (generic), 40 oz — $3.84 (9.6 cents per ounce)
- WinCo — Jif, 28 oz — $2.98 (10.6 cents per ounce)
- WinCo — Skippy, 64 oz — $6.98 (10.9 cents per ounce)
NATURAL WITHOUT SUGAR — Contains peanuts:
- Costco — Adams Crunchy, 80 oz — $7.45 (9.3 cents per ounce)
- WinCo — Adams, 36 oz — $4.08 (11.3 cents per ounce)
- Azure Standard — Crunchy, Salted, 15 pounds — $36.35 (15.1 cents per ounce)
- Azure Standard — Creamy, Salted, 15 pounds — $36.35 (15.1 cents per ounce)
- Azure Standard — Creamy, No Salt, Organic, 15 pounds — $49.75 (20.7 cents per ounce)
- Azure Standard — Crunchy, No Salt, Organic, 15 pounds — $49.75 (20.7 cents per ounce)
If you’re interested in making your own, here are the peanut prices at Azure Standard:
Organic Roasted Peanuts
- 2 pounds = $7.85
- 5 pounds = $18.45
- 30 pounds = $96.30
Roasted Salted Peanuts
- 2 pounds = $5.25
- 5 pounds = $11.95
- 30 pounds = $61.10
It takes about 2 cups of peanuts to make 8 oz of peanut butter. And here are the directions on how to make it yourself. It really is easy.
Thanks to our reader, Kristina, for the Costco prices!
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.