I mentioned my husband’s teriyaki chicken bowl in the Safeway Cole Slaw Post and had a number of people ask for the recipe. It’s too good not to share. Here you go!
Teriyaki Chicken Bowl With Cabbage (serves 5)
1 cup brown rice (can substitute white rice)
8 oz Cole Slaw
1-1.5 lbs chicken (we prefer thighs)
1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil (can substitute cooking/vegetable oil)
½ cup of chicken or vegetable broth
½ cup of mirin sauce
½ cup of soy sauce
¼ cup of oyster sauce
1 Tbsp. of sesame seed oil
1/3 cup of brown sugar
2 cloves of minced garlic (optional)
2 chunks about 1/2 inch squared of minced fresh ginger (optional)
1. Begin by cooking the rice (if you are using white rice it isn’t as important to start with this step).
2. Mix the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Adjust any ingredients to taste.
3. Take ¾ of the sauce mixture and marinate your chicken for 5 minutes
4. Take the remaining sauce and cook it on low until it begins to boil. (Usually I cook it while I cook the vegetables)
5. Mix Cole Slaw and 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil in a saute pan. Cook for 2 minutes then add chicken or vegetable broth. Let it boil until the slaw absorbs most of the broth or it cooks out (about 5 minutes or so). If you like your veggies crunchy then reduce the amount of broth and cook less.
6. While the veggies are cooking I step out to the grill and get the chicken going. (Obviously you could also grill your chicken in a frying pan as well). Cool the chicken once cooked and cut into bite size pieces.
7. Assemble your bowls with rice on bottom, chicken in the middle, veggies on top, and some sauce drizzled over the top.
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.