Newberg 99W Drive-In (Newberg)
Looking for an amazing night with the whole family? Even the dog! How about a good old fashion trip to the drive-in? Yes, there is a drive-in here in the Portland Metro area. Well, Newberg to be exact, but worth the drive.
The cost is super low at $8 for adults and $5 for kids 6-11, kids 5 and under are free. That is for TWO movies recently released movies! We have seen everything from Harry Potter to Transformers to Wall-E on opening day. Also you can bring your own food in! You’re hooked now huh? But before the movie even starts, there’s the pre-show party.
Let your kiddos run wild. All the kids run up in front of the giant screen and play football, frisbee, baseball; there is always a super nice kid handing out glow sticks, and lots of folks out on their lawn chairs playing cards on their cooler. You will have 2-3 hours to hang out as the line starts a little before 6:30 PM and movies start at dusk. Rain or shine. You do need to be there in line around 6:30 PM to get a spot. Things sell out fast.
Facts to know/ things to bring:
- Cash or credit cards are accepted (used to be only cash!)
- Dinner- there are several chain restaurants close to stop at first with Burger King being right next to the theater.
- Toys – sports toys, bubbles, coloring books or things if raining.
- Deck of cards or good book. You will not see the kids for a couple of hours
- PJ’s – the trick is to put them in their PJ’s right when it hits dark. They watch the first movie, go to the bathroom, fall asleep & you have the 2nd movie to yourself.
- Water. Seriously. You’re in the car for a long time. It gets hot sometimes. Over estimate.
- Pillows. Remember the sleep part.
- Read the FAQs. For information and to actually laugh out loud.
This place is great for all ages. I have been there pregnant, with a newborn, 6-month-old , all the way up to a 10-year-old. The drive-in is open starting in April thru October and is only open Thursday through Sunday. Movies change on Tuesdays so checkout the website to see what’s playing. We’ll see you there and maybe even be the cool kids handing out glow sticks!
Lori White is a homeschooling, home-birthing mom of 4 frugal boys & a shopping addicted girl.
Ready to discover (or re-discover) Portland? From the coast to the Gorge, from Clark County to Salem, the Portland Family Fun Guide will allow you to experience the awesomeness this area has to offer!
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.