Ready to discover (or re-discover) Portland? From the coast to the Gorge, from Clark County to Salem, The Ultimate Guide to Portland Family Fun will allow you to experience the awesomeness this area has to offer, all from Frugal Living NW readers! Go here for links to all posts!
Pirate Park (NW Portland)
There’s a wonderful treasure in Northwest Portland. A park that makes everyone from the 11 month old to the 11 year old squeal. I have to whisper it here …
Let’s get something straight — it’s not actually named the Pirate Park but that’s what any local will call it. It’s called Morgans Run Park. It is north of Brandenberry.
I drove for 30 minutes trying to find it because….
1. You have to park at the entrance sign and walk up a little bit of a hill. Play structure area is north of Brandenberry
2. You will see a nice trail but no playground equipment AT ALL until you come over the hill. This really gives that hidden jewel effect.
Equipment ~ Oh boy. There is a pirate ship! And bridges for youngins.
There is also a water spicket and sand. Lots of sand.
For kiddos four and under this totally counts as a day at the beach. Also my eight-year-old competitive gymnast and his gymnastics buddies agree the monkey bars are of good size and length for practicing on.
What to bring:
- Stroller or wagon for negotiating the hill
- Pirate booty or some other snack or gold coin chocolates for some pirate fun
- Sand toys and big trucks for playing in the sand
- Baby powder for removing said sand
- Buckets for dragging water places
- Towels to dry off after the water fun
- Hand sanitizer — though there are port-a-potties, there’s no soap in them.
The “Pirate Park” is located near Bethany & Laidlaw. It’s right down the street from the Bethany fountains, Cedar Mills Bethany Library and an awesome cupcake shop & frozen yogurt shop.
A final tip: When Googling for directions,you will be lead to 164th. WRONG. Go up to Brandberry Dr. and take a right. The play structure area is north of Brandenberry. There you will see the opening to the hill leading up to the park…and your adventure on the seven seas.
Lori White is a homeschooling, home-birthing mom of 4 frugal boys & a shopping addicted girl, aged 11 months to 11 years old. When not simply corralling the chaos she is back to blogging after a year hiatus at www.tamingmoneykidsandchaos.com.
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.