Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and you know what that means. No, not Black Friday. I’m talking about turkey!
I am probably the wrong person to be writing this post. My sisters and I decided to cook a non-traditional Thanksgiving feast this year, swapping out all the old favorites with new dishes. We got together last week with a stack of cooking magazines and books, creating a menu that would make your mouth water. It should be a fun experiment. That is, if the guys don’t revolt on us when they hear we are roasting brussel sprouts instead of making stuffing and serving pear pie instead of the standard pumpkin. Even though we’re giving turkey the ax (get it?), we’re hoping to keep the boys happy with beef instead.
Actually, it’s kind of funny we think of turkey as traditional because turkey probably did not even make an appearance at the first Thanksgiving “feast.” The food we now eat on Thanksgiving is closer to the way it was celebrated in the late 1800’s. The pilgrims were probably eating roasted or boiled venison, fish, lobster, eels, and/or ducks for the main course. Yum. (Go here to read more.)
Anyway, enough historical trivia. On to the turkey.
For those of you celebrating Thanksgiving with a plump turkey in the middle of the table, here are a few price points in the Portland area to help you get the most bird for your buck. I’ll update this list next week if prices change as we get closer to Thanksgiving.
Turkey Prices, as of November 10, 2010 (Turkey Types & Classifications):
- Farm Fresh Frozen Basted Turkey .69/lb. with additional $25 purchase, limit 1 (regular price $1.29/lb.)
- Farm Fresh Signature Seasoned Frozen Turkey $1.49/lb.
- Wild Harvest Frozen Whole Turkey $1.99/lb.
Fred Meyer (valid through 11/13)
Private Selection Frozen Turkey, 10-20 lbs. If you spend…
- $150, your turkey will be free (with coupon), limit 1
- $100, .29/lb.
- $50, .49/lb.
- Fresh Free-Range Turkey $1.69/lb.
- Fresh Certified Organic Turkey $2.79/lb.
Safeway (prices valid until 11/16, read the fine print in this week’s ad)
- Safeway Frozen Turkey<16 lbs: .35/lb. or 16+ lbs: .25/lb. with an additional $50 purchase, limit 1
Honeysuckle Frozen Turkey, <16 lbs: .89/lb. or 16+ lbs: .79/lb. with an additional $15 purchase, limit 1
QFC (prices valid until 11/16)
- Tender Gold Frozen Turkey, <16 lbs: .49/lb. or 16-24 lbs: .29/lb. with an additional $25 purchase, limit 1
- Winco Frozen Turkey .24/lb. with a $50 purchase, limit 1 (regular price .98/lb.)
- Butterball Frozen Turkey .58/lb. with $50 purchase, limit 1
- Honeysuckle Frozen Turkey $1.38/lb.
Leave a comment! Find a good deal on turkey? Is anyone else serving something other than turkey for the main dish this year?
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.