U.S. Bank is at it, yet again! Through this July 9th, open a new checking account at the Sunnyside Albertsons branch (Oregon) of U.S. Bank and they will give you $75. No joke. And there’s no gimmicks. They just want to earn your business with excellent customer service.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to the Sunnyside Albertsons U.S. Bank branch (148th & Sunnyside Rd in Clackamas/Happy Valley)
2. Open a new, no-fee checking account
3. Deposit at least $75 into the account; you will immediately receive a temporary debit card
4. Go through Albertsons and purchase at least $75 worth of groceries or gift cards using your new debit card. This must be a non-PIN purchase.
5. Immediately take your receipt(s) to the U.S. Bank counter and the teller will reimburse your account the $75 by the next business day
Don’t be worried about messing this up. The tellers at this branch are incredibly helpful and they know you are coming in just for the $75. Just tell them Frugal Living NW sent you! They will walk you through the entire process and make sure you do it correctly.
You do not have to immediately make your purchase nor do you have to do it at Albertsons. You can bring in receipts worth $75 from any store and receive the credit. Just make sure you use your new debit card in a non-PIN transaction (the cashier pushes the credit key instead of the debit key). I always suggest just doing it at the Sunnyside store so you can get it done in one trip.
Yes, this offer takes a bit of work: driving to the bank, setting up the account (10 minutes if there’s no line), buying $75 worth of stuff or gift cards while you’re in the store (10 minutes), handing in your receipts (5 minutes), and driving home. Even if you live super far away, you’re looking at making at least $20 per hour. And there’s a McDonald’s with a great play structure in the shopping complex if you need to bribe your kids or need a fun pit stop.
For those of you who are already U.S. Bank customers, you can still join in the fun! Refer someone and you will be entered to win a mountain bike. Make sure your referral mentions your name when they do the deal.
You will probably get a tax form next January describing that you received the $75 as income, so you’ll be taxed on it for 2010. And I’m not sure if other branches are participating in this offer.
This offer is open to new U.S. Bank customers only.
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.