Walmart Coupon Policy
Walmart now has a published, corporate wide coupon policy. Here are the highlights:
- There is no limit on the number of coupons redeemed per transaction
- If the coupon value exceeds the price of the item, the excess may be given to the customer as cash or applied toward other items in the transaction
- The register will prompt the cashier to get supervisor verification for 40+ coupons in one transaction, a coupon valued at $10+ or $50+ in coupons in one transaction.
Walmart will accept the following coupons:
- Manufacturer’s coupons
- Internet printable coupons
- Competitor’s coupons that list a specific price, including a BOGO coupon that lists a specific price — for example, you can use a Safeway coupon for $.99 Fruit Snacks.
- Catalina coupons printed from other stores as long as they are clearly labeled “Manufacturer’s Coupon”– for example, you can use a “$1 off Minute Maid” catalina coupon that printed at Fred Meyer
Walmart will not accept the following coupons:
- Internet printable coupons for a free product (no purchase required) — you can use a “FREE” product coupon from the Sunday newspaper or one that is mailed to you by the manufacturer.
- Competitor’s coupons for a certain $ amount or percentage off, BOGO with no specified price or double coupons — for example, you cannot use a “$2 off Fruit Snacks” Safeway coupon, the $10 off $50 Safeway Food Day coupon or a Safeway or Albertsons double coupon.
- Catalina coupons for a certain $ amount or percentage off — they will not accept a Walgreens Register Rewards or a “$4 off your next purchase” catalina from Albertsons, Safeway or Fred Meyer.
There are other elements of the policy, but they are fairly standard. I strongly suggest you print this policy and keep it in your coupon box/binder and bust it out if you run into problems. If you’re not one to “test the waters” and don’t like confrontation, you should wait a few weeks for this policy to be introduced to your store’s cashiers and managers by more gutsy couponers.
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.