Frugal Homemaking Ideas for May
I love the month of May. It is the best of spring, with summer right around the corner. Here are a few things on my radar this month:
- Many farmers markets open back up in May. Three cheers for local produce from local growers! Here are some tips to make the most of your local farmers market.
- Some produce that is currently in season and should be cheaper, whether you find it at a market or grocery store is asparagus, rhubarb, radishes, root vegetables, and greens (kale, chard, lettuce).
- My 4 rhubarb plants are going crazy right now. If you are in the same boat (or can bum some fresh rhubarb stalks off a friend), make the Best-Ever Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. It is delicious and doesn’t require any dough rolling. Win-win.
- May’s weather can swing between torrential downpour to bright sunshine in a matter of minutes, but it still feels great to get outside. One of my favorite on-the-go snacks is Trail Mix. Find out how to Roast Almonds or make Sweet & Spicy Roasted Nuts to enjoy on your next outdoor adventure. Or… while reading a book on the couch. Either one sounds good to me.
- I like to put my summer garden in at the end of May. I am counting. down. the. days. My husband is finishing up a bunch of new raised beds so I can tuck in my seeds. Ack, so excited! Don’t have garden space? Even pots on an apartment patio are enough to grow herbs or lettuce or small tomato plants.
What are you working on in your home or garden this month?
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.