Rice Bowls with Peanut Sauce and Chicken Satay
Today’s rice bowl features my all-time favorite Peanut Sauce recipe. I have tried several others in the past, but they either tasted too acidic or called for ingredients that required a separate trip to the grocery store (Looking for obscure ingredients, with help from a well-meaning but confused clerk, is one of my least favorite activities). This sauce is creamy, peanuty perfection, and uses ingredients I almost always have on hand. I could eat it by the spoonful, which is why I usually double the recipe.
The original recipe comes from lettuce wraps in Cooking Light’s magazine years ago. That’s a delicious direction to go, but I love this sauce drizzled over a bowl of rice filled with grilled vegetables and chicken satay (fancy word for skewered and grilled meat, served with sauce). You could come up with 101 different combinations, based on your diet and preferences.
Adapted from a Cooking Light recipe
1/3 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. honey
3 T. hoisin sauce
2-3 T. water
2 t. fresh lime juice
1/8-1/4 t. crushed red pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
- Serve drizzled over grilled vegetables, rice bowls, chicken satay, or lettuce wraps. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Thanks to the inspiration of my friend Rebecca, I have drizzled Peanut Sauce over pretty much everything. It is delicious on grilled vegetables, like green beans or bell peppers. Try it in place of traditional pizza sauce for a tasty Thai Chicken Pizza. Lettuce wraps, rice bowls, summer rolls. It’s all fair game. Ice cream topping? Don’t tempt me.
Rice Bowls with Peanut Sauce
Adapted from A Cooking Light recipe
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins
2-3 c. mixed vegetables (carrots, peppers, green beans, etc.)
2 T. oil, divided
Peanut Sauce (see recipe above)
3 c. cooked rice
Cilantro, chopped peanuts, beans sprouts, and/or cabbage (optional garnish)
- Cut the chicken breasts into long 1/2″ slices (or use chicken tenderloins for a quick shortcut). If desired, thread the chicken onto bamboo skewers for chicken satay.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped vegetables and sauté, tossing frequently, until quickly cooked, 3-4 minutes. Remove to a clean plate.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and bring back to heat. Add the chopped chicken or chicken skewers, turning until cooked through, about 3-5 minutes on each side.
- To assemble the rice bowls, scoop the rice into individual bowls. Top with the grilled vegetables and chicken. Drizzle with Peanut Sauce and your choice of garnishes.
Looking for more?
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.