Gluten-Free Chewy Chocolate Almond Cookie Recipe
Today I am going to talk about cookies.
But not just any cookies. These sweet babies are chewy, chocolatey perfection. And I don’t follow a gluten-free diet, so it’s not like they taste like sawdust but I’m saying they taste good because it’s all I can eat. I have options, and I would still choose these cookies any day of the week. Every time I serve them, they receive rave reviews and recipe requests.
The recipe is simple, only five ingredients long, featuring almond flour and melted chocolate. I buy my almond flour at Costco or from the Winco bulk bins. You could also grind your own almond meal. In fact, my sister makes her own almond milk, and the leftover ground almonds would be perfect for this recipe. Cookies and milk! Resist the urge to eat the dough, which may or may not taste like the inside of a rich chocolate truffle, because the end result is worth the wait.
Chewy Chocolate Almond Cookies
Recipe adapted from Tasty Kitchen
Makes about 3 dozen
2 1/2 c. (16 oz.) chocolate chips (semi-sweet or bittersweet, try Enjoy Life brand for dairy-free)
6 T. butter, softened
2/3 c. sugar, plus more for rolling
1 1/2 c. almond flour/meal (or finely ground almonds)
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until smooth and shiny, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir butter into the chocolate until melted.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs and add the sugar. Continue beating until egg mixture is light.
- Gently add the chocolate-butter mixture; stir until combined. Add ground almonds, combining well.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours, until the dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Form the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in a bowl of granulated sugar. Place on lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (cookies should be slightly crackly and set in the middle).
If you use a bunch of almond flour, this 5-lb. bag of Anthony’s Almonds Blanched Almond Flour (Amazon) is a great price at just $5.99/lb.
Looking for more delicious gluten-free dessert options?
Looking for even more cookie recipes?
Fantastic range of boards from best recipes and tips for frugal living to gardening and budgeting help.
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.